Thursday 21 September 2017

What it's all about...

I will start with an introduction and an explanation...

I have been teaching Psychology on and off for the past 15 years.  I say on and off because I have taken time out in between to look after my 3 boys.   My kids are not straight forward (whose are?), my eldest has Asperger's and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, my youngest is struggling with Dyslexia.  I have had to learn a lot in the last 14 years! Somewhere in between I managed to complete an MA in Special and Inclusive Education.

I love teaching. I enjoy knowing that I can make a real difference to a kid's future; watching children grow, become independent and flourish. But I have become increasingly frustrated with the education system's one size fits all approach and insistence on grades at all costs.  When I was asked if we could kick a student off the Psychology course (I didn't by the way) so that the school's results looked better I decided enough was enough and handed in my notice.

So I am taking a sabbatical from teaching and I have a year to research and find out about exactly what is going on with the mental health of our young people and to put that in the context of the education system.  What should we and can we expect of teachers, schools, mental health professionals and the wider community? I have begun my next journey, I vacillate between being very excited and optimistic and absolutely petrified.

In the current climate we see more and more kids with serious mental health issues in school and, as teachers, we are expected to be able to identify and manage these issues.  I have seen lots of kids with mental health issues through their A level years. With no formal training I have mentored, coaxed, listened, met with parents, talked to teachers, and thankfully, every single one of those individuals has made it though their A levels. I know schools have an important part to play, I just worry they have other priorities.

In trying to answer some of the questions around mental health in schools I aim to draw on my knowledge as a psychologist to be as scientifically rigorous as possible, my experience as a teacher to ground the research in reality, and my life as mother of children with mental health issues to offer compassion and understanding to those involved.

If you are interested in joining me on this journey please do follow me on this blog, facebook and twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mental Health Crisis - What Mental Health Crisis? Schools are not places traditionally associated with promoting positive mental ...